Friday, June 15, 2012

Misses Dad

Stock photo
As you serve your country miles away, 
your son and daughter were born today.
They wear their booties while you wear your boots.
You'd be so proud of your new recruits.

Your kids' milestones and funny mistakes 
were videotaped along the way. 
They always wish you are here
to cheer them on and ease their fears.

It's tough being Mrs. Dad 
when you are deployed to face combat. 
I do what I can to fill your boots, 
but it's already tough being mom, too.

Camping out in the yard beneath the stars 
feels lonely knowing that you are far. 
Kids going on dates or off to college. 
They could have used your daddy knowledge.

When you come home it's a dream come true. 
We cherish every second spent with you. 
Hugs are tighter and smiles are wider. 
Our hearts are full and so much lighter.

You hate missing birthdays and graduations.
Not to mention anniversaries and vacations. 
Your duty is to defend our great nation. 
Your devotion to us is an inspiration.

Now you're gone, it's harder than before. 
Not sure how it's possible, but we miss you more. 
You won't be giving your little girl away, 
or being the Best Man on your son's big day.

It's tough being Mrs. Dad 
when you are deployed to face combat. 
I do what I can to fill your boots, 
but it's really tough when I miss you, too. 
You will always be a hero who gave his all 
To his family and his country, above all.

-- Mimi Hoang Kuehn

This has been and continues to be an incredible week, with my mom's birthday two days ago, and Father's Day in a couple of days. Also, I learned it's Marines Week and Cleveland is chosen to host a week of celebrating Marines. Although I am not a military wife, I can only imagine how difficult it is to share your husband with your country. I wrote the above poem (possibly turning it into a song) with all of our armed forces and their families in mind. Thank you to all of you.

Please take the time to thank a service man or woman. For those who are military wives or moms, I'd love to hear your stories on how you are Mrs. Dad to your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment